99 blocks of quilt on the floor
I’ve done a lot of piecing lately and what was once a loose assortment of affiliated blocks is now a solid chunk of quilt top. 99 6″ squares joined together into what will be the center of the quilt.
After taking stock of my fabric stores vs. the state of my scrap stash, I decided to make a stylistic change.
My original design called for a 13 x 15 array of 6″ blocks, final dimensions 78″ x 90″. The change will be that, instead of having 6″ blocks right to the edge, I’m going to start making 3″ and 2″ square blocks.
There will be 3 rows/columns of each size so the blocks will sort of fade out towards the edges. It’ll give 15″ of space, not quite a border, around the center chunk I’ve got now. The new final dimensions will be a slightly larger 84″ x 96″.
I decided on this change for two reasons:
1) Instead of stash busting and using up all my scraps as I’d hoped, I found I was actually generating more by cutting down larger pieces in order to get the 6″ long strips I needed to finish the larger blocks. If I started making smaller blocks (cores, really), I could use all those small pieces and accomplish my goal.
2) I’m getting tired of the 6″ size. That simple, really.
When I started making this quilt, I made the block cores you’ve seen and thought I might just keep them that small. Not progress to a larger block at all and just have tiny units make up the whole top. Then I did the math and realized I’d need over 2000 of them and my excitement over a tiny core quilt cooled. If I do it this way though, I can use a little of that first plan and see how it goes. Huzzah!