Tripling up for once
Usually when quilting I finish whatever project I started before moving on to a new one. Usually. Right now I’ve got three quilts going at once, which is a new record for me. The top of the manic quilt is done, the concentric squares are in progress (10 6″ x 6″ blocks finished), and now there’s this pie-like stack of triangles:
That became this:
Since I was already in stash busting mode with my linen, I figured why not work on whittling down my cotton too? After all, my cotton stash had a similar problem with green build-up and it couldn’t hurt to finally use the fabrics that had been sitting around, some for years now. So, a half square triangle top is in the works.
Because this quilt’s cotton, the fabrics are a mix of new yardage (the solids, mostly), and reclaimed material from clothes, tablecloths, and whatnot. In light of that, I feel terribly lucky about how all the colors worked out. Like any other stash busting project, I was working with just what I already had on-hand in whatever quantities there happened to be. It was pure, stupid luck that I had enough of each fabric to carry the bands of color exactly as far as I wanted to. (Even if I did decide later that I didn’t like the blue batik pattern and replaced it with a black and off-white striped linen.)
For now I’m planning on making a solid backing out of some purple plaid shirting from my stash and using polyester batting instead of my usual needle-punched cotton. I’ve never worked with poly batting before, so I don’t really know what to expect or if I’ll like it. What I do know is that this quilt will be used on the living room couch, which means that people (my dad) are going to fall asleep while watching TV and drop cheese, M&M’s, lunchmeat, ect. on it, so it needs to be highly washable. Thus, polyester. we’ll see how it goes.