Whilst incommunicado during December, I put the backing on my split log cabin quilt and basted it to absurd levels of security. Then I left it alone.
My main problem was that I couldn’t decide how to quilt the thing. My usual MO of vertical lines or a grid just didn’t seem right, so I let it percolate for a while and eventually my utter indecision was rewarded. As I sat there, staring at the unique blocks and hoping to find some solution that would suit them all, I decided that it wouldn’t work. No one overall quilting pattern would do justice to each block. They were all too varied in their widths, color combinations, and complexity for that.
I could, however, adapt a theme to each block and link them all that way. Use a general pattern on each, never the same, but similar enough to be harmonious, just like I did in their patchwork.
The end result was that I began quilting a large meander into each block. The design follows the stripes/layers of the half log cabin blocks, so it blends in and adds to the overall log cabin design of the quilt; emphasizing the patchwork instead of detracting from it by instituting a secondary, conflicting pattern over top.
This is what it looks like from the back where the stitching is easier to follow:
Quilting from left to right on the returning section of the meanders isn’t my favorite thing to do, but overall I quite like this solution. It looks good and seems to go as quickly as an overall grid pattern would have.