Dice Bag MKII
I’ve been working diligently on my postage stamp quilt, but it’s time to take a break from large-scale textiles and shift over to my other favorite subject: Dice.
Over the holidays I got quite a large number of dice. (Huzzah!) There was the now-traditional pound-o-dice from Chessex and a nifty set of 36 12mm black and red d6’s, but I also received two sets that were a little more unique:
I also picked up a few new dice on my own that were just too awesome to leave behind. (It’s gotten to the point where dice need to be something out of the ordinary for me to acquire them.) These here are a d30 (rarely-used shape), a d20 within a d20 (never seen one before), several tiny d6’s, and one that… well, looks like a bone. I can dig it. The one with the skull is a custom die from The Vault of Midnight, an awesome comic/games/toy shop in Ann Arbor.
Just adore ’em all, I do, but the sudden influx combined with the Pathfinder campaign my gaming group’s running reminded me of a major problem that arises from having a large collection of dice. Namely, there are a lot of them.
It makes them difficult to store and to use, as the bag you lug around to each game is cumbersome. The solution is simple though: Make more dice bags.
I set out to make a small army of bags of various sizes/capacities that are more portable than the main storage bag I made and also hold the specific types of dice I need to play each of my games. It’s been an ongoing project for months, but now that it’s finally finished and the dust has settled I find myself with individual bags for Pathfinder, Magic the Gathering, holding my unique dice, general storage, and this guy.
The pattern for all of them is similar to my hex bag, made out of repurposed materials. Three-piece linen outer shells, that are lined with more linen and sashiko stitched/quilted together with cotton embroidery floss. On all the bags, save the one for MTG, the drawstring is two loops of flat cotton plait drawstring salvaged from old pairs of pants. The MTG bag’s drawstrings are linen ties that I saved when I dismantled its predecessor. (My loyal, worn-out old bag may be gone, but it lives on through the ties!)
Each of these took me about five hours total to sew then hand-stitch.
Here are some pics of the Pathfinder bag in progress!
The pieces all laid out. Two sides for both the outer shell and lining, two long side panels, the two pieces of drawstring, and four wee bits to serve as retaining loops for said drawstring.
Stitched up the outer and inner shells. The indigo one has the retaining loops stitched on the inside, which is the right side of the fabric.
Joined them at the mouth with wrong sides out and left a gap in the seam so I could turn it inside-out.
Turned it right-side out and basted the two layers together. (Also stuffed it with dice to test if it was the right size.)
Hand-stitching ensues! Closed up the gap along the mouth’s seam, then started on the sashiko. (By the way, I’ve put a very good sashiko tutorial from Sake Puppets over in the tutorials section of the sidebar.)
Just simple parallel lines of running stitch along the bag’s sides. Nine lines in total.
The other bags follow the same pattern and are black/electric blue for Magic, black/gray for my unique dice, and brown/blue for general storage. The fifth bag for Blackmoon was black/red and I’ve already sent it off. (He liked it.) I’m quite pleased with all of them and they should last me a good long time.