I’ve talked about reclaiming and repurposing yarn from sweaters before, but this is slightly different. Part of a larger project, actually. It began when I found this sweater at the Salvation Army.
It’s a nice enough garment. Made by Lands’ End, 100% cotton, nice chunky yarn. What caught my attention, however, was that the yarn used was knitted from threads, not spun. It’s like super-fine I-cord that was then used as yarn and knitted itself.
Pretty cool, I thought, so I nabbed and unraveled it. This is the result:
38 skeins of various sizes.
You may be wondering why I bothered to make skeins instead of winding the yarn directly into balls like I did before. It’s because of part two of my plan. I’m not going to just knit this stuff up, I’m going to try my hand at dyeing it first.
As I see it, I’ve got plenty of yarn to mess with, plenty of dye about, and precious little experience actually using any of it. That means it’s time to experiment.